InTheMoodForLove

Mexican Heat - Josh Lanyon, Laura Baumbach The plot of Mexican Heat was one of the best I've read in romantic suspense: two men meeting one night in a bar, having a heated encounter without sharing any names, only to meet again a couple of days later as members of two mob factions who are negotiating a merger. However, Gabriel is in fact an undercover cop, which makes Ortega, second in command to a drug lord, one of the bad guys that he has to put behind bars when the whole operation draws to a close. Unfortunately, Gabriel has trouble fighting his attraction to Ortega and vice-versa, and soon things are going to get very nasty; but before that, they're getting very heated!

I loved the book for the most part. The reason for the 4 stars rating is not the tendency that Ortega had to speak using purple language that any debutante of the 80s would have envied; at least that didn't happen too often and it then it was near the end of the book. My problem is that this book did not provide a convincing HEA for me. By the end of the book, Gabriel was still too restrained, too untrusting, too closed up and keeping his demons at hand for the two of them to actually live happily ever after IMO. Too bad the authors decided to stop there and not continue with the next two books as originally planned:( Still, it's a book worth reading for m/m lovers, if they like a large dose of suspense and undercover ops in their romance.