InTheMoodForLove

Not Quite a Husband - Sherry Thomas This book was a true rollercoaster: Thomas, by slowly revealing facts from their past, keeps changing the portrayal of the heroes, and when you think you know all about them, pulls another card out of her sleeve and throws you out of balance once more:)

Bryony and Leo were married for about a year before their marriage was annulled. 4 years later, Leo goes to India to bring her an urgent message from her sister about her father. Bryony reluctantly agrees to travel with him so that she can take a ship that'll take her to England, to her ailing father. In the beginning it all seems simple: they hate each other and they both want to be through with this ordeal as soon as possible. But then, it becomes apparent that there are also many other feelings between them: heartache, despair, lust, unrequited love, pain and confusion. By travelling from the present to the past and vice versa through her heroes' thoughts, Thomas sheds light in the reasons this couple married and separated so soon afterwards.

There is also an increasing feeling of urgency and alarm as it soon becomes obvious that they may have to fight for their lives, since they find themselves in the middle of the locals' uprising. To be honest, this seemed more wallpaperish than Duran's portrayal of the Indians' uprising in The Duke of Shadows, but I didn't really mind it. I loved the passion, the deepness, the angst and the way Thomas kept surprising me with each trip back to the past. At the end I loved both the heroine and the hero, though there was a time early in the book that it wasn't so. It was also one of the rare times I peeked at the last chapter to see if they trully would have a HEA together, since everything seemed against those two. Finally, it took me a little longer to read, since I read most paragraphs twice, because I couldn't get enough of the Thomas' lyrical and extremely emotional writing.

Another amazing book by Thomas, though it may be slightly lower in my esteem than both Private Arrangements and His at Night, because of the time it took me to like the main characters. It also was much more angsty -almost heartwrenching- than HaN, but it had a yummier hero, one that ended in my favorites.

Lovers of extreme tension and drama, should pick this up right now. All others, proceed with care:)